Novellas and Novelettes vs. full-length Novels

Forums 1. General Discussion Novellas and Novelettes vs. full-length Novels

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Jeani Rector 1 year, 3 months ago.

• Creator
    Topic

Jeani Rector
    Participant

I have always felt that novellas and novelettes do not sell nearly as well as full-length novels. I feel that readers are more inclined to spend their money on a novel to feel they are getting “their money’s worth.”

I am interested in knowing (if you have published a novel or novelette) what your experience was.

Just for the record, the Nebula Awards given by the Science Fiction and Fantasy Writers of America define a novella as having a word count of between 17,500 and 40,000 words. A novelette is defined as having a word count between 7,500 and 17,500 words.

So, set me straight. Am I right or wrong that only full-length novels sell well?

• Author
    Replies

Amber Fallon
    Participant

Personally, I find that novellas sell very well as long as they are appropriately priced. A lot of people don’t have time for reading a full length novel but want something more substantial than a short story. Novellas fill that spot well.

Jeani Rector
      Participant

So Amber, I am interested. As I said, I have always believed that novellas and novelettes just don’t sell. What do you consider priced right? Because I feel it is human nature to want to “get your money’s worth.” Unless you are a really big name, like Stephen King, who could probably sell his grocery list.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Sister site to "The Horror Zine"

Skip to toolbar