Dark Fantasy?

Forums 1. General Discussion Dark Fantasy?

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by Profile photo of Geoff Nelder Geoff Nelder 1 year, 5 months ago.

• Creator
    Topic
    Profile photo of Geoff Nelder
    Geoff Nelder
    Participant

What is Dark Fantasy – I mean exactly?
    I ask because I’ve had to help my agent hawk my Xaghra’s Revenge around the planet’s publishers lately and one publisher, DDP is seeking novels that can be best described as Dark Fantasy. XR is historical fantasy, magic realism, noir, and maybe dark fantasy. I visited the Mediterranean island of Gozo on holiday and while there learnt that pirates in 1551 abducted the entire population and those they didn’t throw overboard, sold as slaves. Those spirits must be crying out for justice and revenge. Right? Hence my seventh novel, Xaghra’s Revenge. It has ancient spirits, weird stuff happening to a modern young couple (magic realism), the story of their (unbeknown) ancestors on Gozo and later as slaves (historical fantasy) and demons scaring the hell out of our narrators (dark fantasy).
    XR is still doing the rounds but although feedback is that they “love it” I’m not well-known enough. Sigh. Hence my breaking the rules and helping my agent’s playing-by-the-long-wait-book in approaching other publishers. Amazing that most take 9 months or more to consider a few sample chaps.
    So peeps, what do you regard as Dark Fantasy?

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Sister site to "The Horror Zine"

Skip to toolbar